Wednesday 3 April 2013

Self Soothe



One of the skills that we learn about in DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy) is Self Soothe, a component of the distress tolerance module for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. I was taught about this skill even before I started learning about it in group therapy in my individual session with my psychologist. It really is just about using your 5 senses; hearing, sight, touch, taste and smell. In the beginning the one thing I would do is go on YouTube or Google Images for the sense of sight and find beautiful images like the ones I have shown here (courtesy of Google Images)







As time has gone on and I have learned a lot more. I have discovered 10 and 15 minute scrolling slideshows on YouTube that have serene music in the background and every day I will put the headset on and just watch them. If I want to use more skills while looking at the images I just observe them and think of nothing else. I turn the music off to do this, I don’t judge the images and I refrain from having other distractions around me. Just by taking 10 minutes out of my day to enjoy these gorgeous sights I tick off almost all the skills in core mindfulness as well as the self soothe category. I like this activity as it really does take my mind off things, it makes me appreciate beauty outside of my home and it can help me to feel slightly calmer compared to how I felt before doing it. 


For the sense of smell I put an oil burner on with soy wax melts and I take the time to appreciate the smell. I might sit for 5 minutes doing nothing else but taking in the beautiful aromas that fill my house. 

For the sense of touch I pat my cat, but not mind numbingly, I really do make a conscious effort to sense what it feels like. I don’t judge or get distracted, I just pat and feel – it’s rather nice and calming and my cat loves it too. 

For taste I might enjoy a different type of tea, drinking it ever so slowly, or a new cookie, eating it as slow as I can, or my favourite is to make myself a banana milkshake and really get in and take in the taste of it – all of it. 

My favourite sense is hearing. I love to listen to relaxing music from the rainforest or the beach. I also love to listen to Middle Eastern music which is really quite relaxing. Other things you could do is lie outside on the grass and listen to the birds and things that are going on in your backyard, you’d be surprised what each sound brings. 


How would you use your senses?  Which one makes you feel better easily?

No comments:

Post a Comment