Sunday 28 July 2013

DSM-IV Criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder

It seems that in my haste to do a Blog about my experience with BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) I have actually not yet posted what BPD is all about. Mmmm, slight mishap, but nevermind. 

What's important to note is that the criteria for diagnosing Borderline Personality Disorder that I am setting up a link to is in fact from the DSM-IV (Diagnostical Statistical Manual of Psychiatric Criteria). I didn't diagnose myself. You will see from the very beginning of my Blog where it all started and how I did get my diagnosis. Sadly, I meet all 9 criteria with very little occurrence of the 9th criteria. However as it currently stands my symptoms are decreasing due to intensive therapy, which unfortunately I have had to put on hold temporarily until I get more dosh. 

The treatment I've been receiving for the BPD is Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT). Basically as you read through the Blog you will see that I attempt to demonstrate what I have learned in therapy. For me, I see this as my last hope. I have had other treatment for over 20 years and DBT is the only thing that, just in 6 months, has reduced my feelings of worthlessness and emptiness, thoughts of suicide and self harm, and helped me to understand my emotions. I cannot give it enough credit. I am by no way 'cured' but I can actually see a way out of this BPD hell. I definitely still have bad days but by practicing the skills I've learned in DBT daily I am seeing a little ray of light. 

At the moment I am unsure where the Blog is heading. I do want to continue doing challenges (posting pics) as I really enjoyed doing that and I definitely want to continue sharing my daily experiences with anyone who'll read. 

In the meantime, Blog bye.


No comments:

Post a Comment