Tuesday 12 March 2013

The Beginning

Four months ago I started receiving intensive therapy called Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), the recommended therapy used for those who suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).  I have BPD and for 12 years I’ve had a number of mental health professionals tell me to ignore it or not put myself into that category like it was some taboo subject never to be discussed. 

The DSM-IV criteria fit me so perfectly but I never had the support from professionals to officially start appropriate treatment for BPD in all that time. I started counselling at age 14 and sought psychiatric help after attempting suicide at 19. Now at age 36, 3 hospitalisations  and 22 years of counselling later, I have started to demand answers. The constant feelings of emptiness and loss of identity, suicidal thoughts, self harm and never ending issues with my thoughts, behaviours and feelings, I knew was not only due to depression. Six months ago I finally received confirmation without a doubt that I definitely had Borderline Personality Disorder.  

BPD is characterised by a few very distinct features such as a dysregulation of emotions, instability of relationships, self harming/suicidal behaviours and impulsivity. Once I had the diagnosis, I started to research everything about it, including what it meant for me and my future and what type of recommended treatment was readily available. Unfortunately the hospital that my psychiatrist practiced at didn’t provide the treatment I needed and of course I was not given any other avenue, almost reinforcing the idea that BPD is a taboo subject. Since then I have found that sadly the illness is often misunderstood and not received well by the general population and unfortunately even the mental health professionals. 

After reading a lot of information about the treatment of BPD I discovered that in the U.S there is a relatively new therapy for those who suffer from BPD and that is Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), a program by Marsha Linehan PhD. DBT is the culmination of 2 practices :

                  1Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

                  2Zen Meditation/Mindfulness Practices

These combined methods form with the aim to be more mindful, have better interpersonal relationships, reduce impulsivity through distress tolerance and the regulation of emotions. 

After yet more difficulty getting into a program here in Australia I have finally found one which I am now committed to. I am determined to see this through and to do as much as I can to live a better life. The biggest relief I have now is that I am finally receiving the correct treatment for my illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment