Wednesday 13 March 2013

Starting DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy)

When I first started DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy) I was allocated a psychologist with experience dealing with Borderline Personality Disorder, which I have, and one of a very few people in Australia with complete DBT training by Marsha Linehan (the founder). 

The DBT course in itself that I was to attend comprised of modules that were completed in 8 week modules and repeated after 6 months. As I was entering, other attendees were already one or 2 modules in. It didn't matter where you entered as long as you entered at the beginning of an 8 week block. So to step into something that was already running required me to have an initial 4 individual therapy sessions to polish up with the lingo and to be reassured that it wouldn't be as daunting as it sounded. 

Committing to the program requires committing to attending individual therapy and group therapy weekly. Group therapy is almost like a class room setting where you are taught about the skills used in DBT. Yes it sounds a bit scary but you are there with people who have what you have and understand what you’re going through, therefore you aren't judged. That is something that's so valuable to me because I have never met anyone with BPD (who openly admitted it) so to finally not be isolated feels just so right.  

In DBT group sessions you don’t get counselling as you do in individual sessions. Group is purely learning skills. So that everyone is in sync, the individual therapists and the other professionals who form the training team (an occupational therapist and social worker) get together prior to group to discuss what needs are to be met and how they can get us to achieve that. Private information isn’t discussed in group with your peers but when you talk about things the professionals are generally on par with what you are saying as they know what has happened in individual therapy. They have a rough idea of what was most distressing during the week for you or what worked well for you and can target the skills we are learning about based on that knowledge. 

The most vital part of DBT is that you get phone coaching. This means that if you are distressed at anytime and cannot access your skills, for whatever reason that may be, you can call one of these professionals and they will guide you back on to using the DBT skills. This is not counselling, it is to get you back on track to remembering what skills that are learnt in class. 

The first few weeks I felt that it was all just too hard and I couldn’t get my head around the whole thing. I couldn’t understand how little skills like listening to music and observing what I do throughout the day could assist but as time goes on with the use of these skills the more it makes sense and I see their worth. On the flip side as time goes on and I don’t use skills I end up weaker and back to my old ways. I definitely know which I would prefer to do. 

As I go on with this blog I do intend on explaining what I do in DBT and which skills I may use to deal with a particular problem but I need to be clear that I am not a professional. I am merely a consumer of DBT. 

By doing this blog I am hoping that it may help give someone a chance at realising there is a way out of this and that you can get better. 

Til next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment