Thursday 2 May 2013

Using skills on a work day

With the DBT skills I find huge importance on practicing them daily even when I’m fine and not the least bit distressed. I choose to do this because I know that when I get distressed it is extremely hard to get myself out of feeling this way. When that happens for me it can easily lead to the urge of self harming or ideations of suicide (symptoms of the Borderline Personality Disorder that I have). This is why I do practice the skills daily – to make it such a habit in my life that when the time comes where I’ll desperately need them they’ll be there. 

Recently I have found it difficult to do a lot of work and have knocked back quite a few jobs. With the help of my psychologist I have slightly improved in this area and now I am working more hours in a day than I have in 8 months. Sometimes it can be a challenge to find time to practice DBT while at work.

This post is to demonstrate that you can find time during a work day to do many skills on the way to work, during work, at lunch time and after work. The idea is to have a plan so I stick to it as to not lose the practice time. I am lucky enough to only have jobs that go for 1 or 2 hours then I have a gap and go somewhere else for another 1 or 2 hours. Sometimes lunch breaks are the best time to practice.

Before arriving at work I:

 
 Eat a healthy breakfast
  Spend time observing my breath (about 20 minutes)
        Pray
 
 Do one thing at a time getting ready


While driving to work, (while being mindful of driving), I:

  listen to relaxing, calm music if anxious or loud pop music to lift my spirits
 encourage myself by saying “I can do this”, “I have done much worse than this and have gotten through”, “I only have to get through 7 hours, not 10 like I have before” etc.


At work I:
 
              half smile (if work is not going to plan, in meetings, at people I may not wish to be                    around, even on the phone to someone)

         try not to be non judgmental 
           do one task at a time (being mindful not to juggle many jobs at once)
                use GIVE skills (be Gentle, act Interested, Validate the person, use an Easy                                        manner)

At work, (during lunch/break between 2 jobs), I:
             might ask a friend to join me and maybe shout them their meal or;
 shout myself to something special (a piece of cake or an unusual juice)
go to the park/beach/nice location
observe things around me non judgmentally

After work I: 

continue to use GIVE skill with family at home
go for a walk
                give myself permission to have a vacation to relax from my day at work (after                        dinner and usual tasks are completed)



Just doing all of those things above in just one day covers about 13 DBT skills. I vary them pretty much on a daily basis but I have a plan at the start of the day. It doesn’t take too much time out of my day to do these and it certainly doesn’t interfere with my work. I believe this sets me up for having easily accessible skills for when things do go awry or if I have to deal with difficult situations that could possibly occur at work/on my way to and from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment