Thursday 15 August 2013

My skills for today

Well here I am posting what skills I have done for today. In actual fact I've had a good day and I'm relieved because it's the anniversary of something dear to me which could have turned into a day of mourning and ruminating. By distracting and self soothing the day has crept by without a thought to have those negative emotions and even while typing now I can just continue to distract by blogging and contributing to those out there who may have BPD like I do. Perhaps in a way I am suppressing the anniversary or thoughts of it but if it's getting me through the day then that's what I'm doing. 

One thing I do find interesting about feeling good today is I didn't feel this way yesterday. That in itself is a bit of a wake up call to me because one of my cheerleading statements that I often don't believe is 'you won't feel this sad forever'. This good feeling that I'm having today is proof right here, right now that things can be ok, things do change and emotions do really change even when you think it is absolutely not possible. I have noted also that a few times today I have thought 'well this feeling good won't last forever either' and even though that may be true I can think of ways in which to be unmindful of worries. This is a skill in the DBT module of Emotion Regulation where you can think about positives that have happened in your life and things that you are grateful for to distract from those worries.I like to also do an achievement list which I find useful as well.

So here's what skills I used today: 
 I pat the cat
Skill - Distress Tolerance (self soothe - touch/feel)
 I tidied the house up a bit 
(this is a permanent deal I have with my psychologist in order to keep my self respect in tact, to be an independent, capable adult and to ensure I am not making excuses so my husband can do it all)
Skill - Distress Tolerance (distract by doing an activity)
Skill - Interpersonal Effectiveness (FAST - a tool for maintaining self respect) 
 
 To do cleaning I had to use opposite to emotion action because I really didn't want to do it
Skill - Emotion Regulation (opposite to emotion action)
Skill - Emotion Regulation (willingness)
  Did some writing (generally everyday I write a few things I'm grateful for and a 'what was positive today' list)
Skill - Distress Tolerance (distract by doing an activity)
 I did some describing, non-judgmentally, of sounds around me
Skill - Core Mindfulness (describe)
Skill - Core Mindfulness (non-judgmental)


More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment